Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tsunamis


By Bakhytzhan

Hello everybody. Today I want to give you some information about my presentation from my elective class. My presentation was about one of destructive natural disaster Tsunamis.
First of all, what does tsunami mean? This term comes from the Japanese, (tsu) meaning "harbour" and (nami), meaning "wave". Scientifically tsunamis, or seismic sea waves, are a series of very long wavelength ocean waves generated by the sudden displacement of large volumes of water, but sometimes tsunamis mistakenly called "tidal waves”. There is nothing common between wind waves, because tsunami can be caused by underwater earthquakes, which is most common reason, by volcanic eruptions, landslides, or even by meteor impacts or nuclear test. Most tsunamis occur in seismically active regions such as the Pacific Ocean, but tsunamis can occur anywhere in the world where there are large bodies of water. The largest source region for tsunamis is in the Pacific Ocean with 71% of all occurrences.
A tsunami cannot be precisely predicted; however, there are some warning signs of an impending tsunami, and automated systems can provide warnings immediately after an earthquake in time to save lives. One of the most successful systems to predict tsunami is using sensor which is called  buoys.
As you know, the last destructive tsunami happened in Japan -11 March 2011. It was the world's fourth largest earthquake since 1900 and the largest in Japan since modern instrumental recordings began 130 years ago.
So, I think it is extremely important to know about natural disaster as a tsunami.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to you now I know that how Tsunamis occur.. it is very disastrous. I really feel sorry for that tsunami which happened in Japan.. I hope that it will be recover as soon as possible. By, Jina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I read your article. Tsunami is very horrible. In March 11th 2011, tsunami attacked Japan. I watched the picture of tsunami on TV every time. I have never forgotten this incidents. It is possible to damage everyone by the disaster like this. We have to remember that.

    By KOSUKE AOSHIMA

    ReplyDelete